Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Write It Down, and Walk It Out!

Hello Everyone,

How are you recording your meals? Are you writing them down and adding up your total calories consumed manually? If so, why? There are so many free Apps available to help us alleviate the task and issues of having human error and getting it wrong. I know your probably saying to yourself "I know but I have too many Apps on my phone already". My response to the voice in your head is delete one of the games you downloaded and make room in your phone for an App that is going to help you achieve physical success. Below is a photo of the App I use titled Samsung Health. I made my daughter download the App also even though she doesn't own a Samsung because it works on any smart phone, I think? I use it because it is free, I can record my workouts as well as my calories and it tells me if I am over my calorie intake or not.



You might be wondering why is recording our calorie intake so important? Well, for me, it serves two purposes. It helps me control my portion size and what I eat. It also helps me remember when I should be eating because if I am recording a meal or snack after my cut off time, I know I am wrong and have to knock out my punishment sit-ups and push-ups so I do not continue my bad behavior.

An article I read by Legge (2013) said recording meals becomes a sport. I totally agree and feel that the more we set a goal and physically see ourselves exceeding that goal, the better we feel about ourselves. I also love competition and think of it as a game. The best thing about this sport in my opinion is that you are in competition with yourself and do not have to hear the chants for the opposing team.


You do not have to follow me and use my App but I highly recommend you writing / logging your snack and meal intake for accountability purposes. Trust me, it will help you in your weight loss journey.

Do you think most people forget to log or intentionally skip logging their food intake? Is logging / recording meals too time consuming? How do you remember everything you ate in an 8 to 10 hour period?


References
Legge, A. (2013). 9 Reasons tracking your eating and exercise habits will help you lose weight.        
      Retrieved from https://completehumanperformance.com/2013/04/23/self-monitoring-weight-loss/

No comments:

Post a Comment